EAPS Lab Safety - Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences - Purdue University Skip to main content

EAPS Lab Safety


Members of EAPS (Faculty, Staff, Post-doctoral Researchers, Graduate Students, and Undergraduate Students carrying out Research in any form) depending on the their work environment must successfully complete the following training or acknowledgements:

Everyone in the Department must complete:

For everyone working in laboratories:

  • Read carefully each laboratory's approved COVID-19 Research Space Standard Operating Procedure (provided by your supervisor), read the pre-read materials, and certify your understanding by returning to your supervisor a signed and dated acknowledgement form. (find on the last page of the SOP template).
  • Labs will have either a Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) or a Hazard Communication Comprehensive Standard.  They will be provided by your supervisor to read if necessary.
  • Everyone in a lab with a CHP must successfully complete the Laboratory Safety Fundamentals. This may require you register a new account at this site. The LSF course is at the very bottom of the list on the Vivid website.  You are also required to take the LSF refresher annually.
  • There are more specific training modules available depending on your situation. Contact the head of your lab with instructions on which modules and other training you need to complete.

Laboratory Safety Requirements

All employee spaces are covered under either the Hazard Communication Program or the Chemical Hygiene Plan. The classification will depend on the activities occurring in that space. Investigate the links and information below to see what your spaces should be classified as. REM is also available to assist with determining the appropriate designation.

Hazard Communication Plan

The Hazard Communication Standard is an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulation. The Hazard Communication Standard may also be referred to as the Right-to-Know Law, RTK, or HazCom. The citation number is 29 CFR 1910.1200. HazCom is a standard intended to protect employees from physical and health hazards that they work with or be exposed to in the workplace. There are two levels of the HazCom Training. Awareness training is associated with computer labs and office/administrative areas. The HazCom Comprehensive is for areas such as chemical preparation labs or machine shops. 

Chemical Hygiene Plan

Laboratories engaged in the laboratory use of hazardous chemicals must maintain a lab-specific Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) which conforms to the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.1450, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories Standard (Lab Standard). All lab employees must complete a Lab-Specific Training Certification form, which will be held by the manager of the lab.

Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Compliance

To comply with CFATS, the Purdue University Office of the Provost is requesting the action of departments that use and store chemicals. Each room that has chemicals must complete a Form AA-01 chemical inventory, or verify the room does not have, or is likely not to have in the foreseeable future, any chemicals listed on the form. Individual PIs are responsible for conducting the inventories and completing Form AA-01 before sending it to the Safety Committee for collation.  Details and forms are found here.


Emergency Preparedness

Accidents Do Happen at Universities

The U.S. Chemical Safety Board has released an informative video on laboratory safety at academic institutions.

Workplace Injury Information

Safety Resources


Safety Committee

If you have any questions for safety concerns, please reach out to us at eaps-safecom@purdue.edu.


Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, 550 Stadium Mall Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051 • Phone: (765) 494-3258 • Fax: (765) 496-1210 • Contact Us

Copyright © 2020 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the College of Science.