Dr. Wen-Wen TungAssociate Professor and Director of Geodata Science for Professionals MS Program
Google Scholar , Atmospheric Science , Data Science Initiative , Geodata Science Initiative , Purdue Climate Change Research Center (PCCRC) , Personal Website
Ph.D., Atmospheric Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, 2002
- Dynamical predictability
- Multiscale convective systems
- Tropical dynamics (Monsoons, Waves, Intraseasonal oscillation, etc.)
- Observational data reduction in geophysics and bioinformatics
- Multiscale signal processing utilizing spectral analysis, wavelet analysis, principal component analysis, chaos and fractal theories, and other statistical methods.
- EAS309: Computer-Aided Analysis For Geosciences
- EAS534: Tropical Meteorology
- EAS536: Introduction to Atmospheric General Circulation
- EAS591Y: From Hot Towers to Hurricanes - An intro. to multiscale tropical convective systems
- EAS637: Geophysical Fluid Dynamics in A Rotating System
- Assistant Professor, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Prudue University January 2005–present
- Visiting Scientist, Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division, NCAR August–December 2004
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Advanced Study Program, NCAR August 2002–July 2004
Selected Publications - Google Scholar Page for a complete list of publications
- Gao, J. B., J. Hu, W.-w. Tung, and Y.-C. Wang, 2008: Global cooling span amidst a century-long global warming trend, submitted to Geophys. Res. Let..
- Ashfaq, M.*., S. Ying, W.-w. Tung, R. J. Trapp, X. Gao, J. S. Pal, N. S. Diffenbaugh, 2008: Suppression of South Asian summer monsoon precipitation in 21st century, submitted to Geophys. Res. Let..
- Hu J., W.-w. Tung, and J.B. Gao, 2008: A new way to model non-stationary sea clutter, IEEE Signal Processing Letters (accepted).
- Tung, W.-w. , J. Hu, J.B. Gao, and V.J. Billock, 2008: Diffusion, intermittency, and noise-sustained metastable chaos in the Lorenz equations: effects of noise on multistability. Int. J. Bifurcations & Chaos (theme issue Multistability in Dynamical Systems), 18, No. 6, 1749–1758.
- Tung, W.-w., J.B. Gao, J. Hu, and Y.H. Cao, 2007: Quantifying dynamical prediction utility by relative entropy: the role of Kolmogorov-Sinai entropy, submitted to J. Atmos. Sci.
- Tung, W.-w., Y. Qi, J.B. Gao, Y.H. Cao, and L. Billings, 2005: Direct characterization of chaotic and stochastic dynamics in a population model with strong periodicity. Chaos, Solitons, and Fractals, 24, 645-652.
- Tung,W.-w., M.W. Moncrieff, and J. B. Gao, 2004: A systematic view of the multiscale tropical deep convective variability over the tropical western- Pacific warm pool. J. Climate, 17, 2736-2751.
- Tung, W.-w., and M. Yanai, 2002: Convective momentum transport Observed during the TOGA COARE IOP. Part I: General features. J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 1857? 1871.
- Tung, W.-w., and M. Yanai, 2002: Convective momentum transport observed during the TOGA COARE IOP. Part II: Case studies. J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 2535?2549.