Dr. Robert NowackProfessor Emeritus
- Ph.D.- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Geophysics)
- M.S - Stanford University (Geophysics)
- B.A. - Beloit College (Physics, with Honors)
Seismology, seismic wave propagation, inverse theory, time series analysis, crustal and upper mantle studies.
- At the graduate level, I teach Introduction to Seismology, Geophysical Inverse Theory, 3D Seismic Interpretation and Visualization, and classes in reflection and advanced seismology.
- At the undergraduate level, I have taught classes in Fossil Fuels, Energy and Society, Earthquakes and Volcanoes, and The Planets.
- EAPS 105 The Planets
- EAPS 116 Earthquakes & Volcanoes
- EAPS 375 Fossil Fuels, Energy and Society
- EAPS 557 Introduction to Seismology
- EAPS 559 3D Seismic Interpretation and Visualization
- EAPS 591 Introduction to Reflection Seismology
- EAPS 657 Geophysical Inverse Theory
Awards and Honors
- 2004 Fellow, Institute of Physics, London
- Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Geophysical Research Solid Earth, 2012-2016
- Panel Member for DOE (Airforce Research Laboratory and National Nuclear Security Administration, NNSA), 2012
- Co-Chief Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research Solid Earth, 2009-2012
- External Academic Review Committee, Dept. of Geology and Geophysics, Texas A&M University, 2010
- Editorial Board, Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, 2004-2011
- Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research, 2005-2009
- Associate Editor, Studia Geophysica et Geodaetica, 1999-2009
- Associate Editor, Bull. Seismological Society of America, 1995-2009
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics (IOP), 2004
- 1998-present, Professor of Geophysics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- 1998, Technical Program Committee Member for Meeting on Signal Recovery and Synthesis, Optical Society of America, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
- 1990 - 1998 Associate Professor of Geophysics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- 1985 - 1990 Assistant Professor of Geophysics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- 1985 - Post-Doctoral Research Scientist, Earth Resources Laboratory, MIT, Cambridge, MA.
- 1978 - 1980 Staff Seismologist, U.S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, CA.
- 1977 - 78 Engineering Seismologist, Woodward Clyde Consultants, San Francisco, CA.
Selected Publications - Google Scholar Page for a complete list of publications
- Zeng, Q. and R.L. Nowack (2021) Analysis of Local Seismic Events Near a Large-N Array for Moho Reflections, Seismological Research Letters, 92(1) 408-420, doi.org/10.1785/0220200087.
- Ergun Erhan and R.L. Nowack (2020) Application of non-stationary iterative time-domain deconvolution, Studia Geophysica et Geod., 64, 76-99, doi: 10.1007/s11200-019-1165z, online first.
- Huang, J. and R.L. Nowack (2020) Machine Learning using U-Net Convolutional Neural Networks for the Imaging of Sparse Seismic Data, Pure and Applied Geophysics, 177, (6) 2685-2700, doi.org/10.1007/s00024-019-02412-z.
- Kiraz, M. S. R. and R.L. Nowack (2018) Marchenko redatuming and imaging with application to the Frio carbon sequestration experiment, Geophys. J. Int., 215, 1633-1643. doi: 10.1093/gji/ggy356.
- Nowack, R. L. and M. S. R. Kiraz (2018) Virtual Green’s functions using seismic interferometry and Marchenko Redatuming, Seism. Res. Letters, 89, 613-619 doi: 10.1785/0220170211.
- Oren, C. and R.L. Nowack (2018) An overview of reproducible 3D seismic data processing and inversion with Madagascar, Geophysics, 83, F9-F20, doi: 10.1190/GEO2016-0603.1.
- Oren, C. and R.L. Nowack (2017) Seismic body-wave interferometry using noise autocorrelation for crustal structure, Geophys. J. Int., 208, 321-332, doi:10.1093/gji/ggw394.
- Nowack, R.L. and C. Oren (2016) Effects of Processing and the Ambient Noise Distribution on Seismic Interferometry using Auto-Correlation Stacks, Annual Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, Dec. 12-16.
- Lopez-Comino, J.A., D. Stich, A.M.G. Ferriera, J. Morales, and R.L. Nowack (2015) Extended Fault Inversion Through Popperian Falsificaiton: Rupture Directivity Resolution and Spatial Comparison Tests, Annual Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, Dec. 14-18.
- Nowack, R.L. and M.L. Bostock (2014) Interferometric Redatuming with Application to Low Frequency Earthquakes in Northern Cascadia, Joint SEG/AGU Conference on “Advances in Active plus Passive Full-Wavefield Seismic Imaging: From Reservoirs to Plate Tectonics, July 22-24, Vancouver BC, Canada.
- Nowack, R.L. and M.G. Bostock (2014) Scattered waves from low-frequency earthquakes and plate boundary structure in northern Cascadia, Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, doi: 10.1002/grl.50826.
- Bakir, A.C. and Nowack, R.L. (2012) Velocity and attenuation structure of the Tibetan lithosphere beneath the Hi-CLIMB array from the modeling of Pn attributes, Pure and Applied Geophys., doi:10.1007/s00024-012-0482-8.
- Bakir, A.C. and Nowack, R.L. (2012) Modeling seismic attributes of Pn waves using the spectral element method, Pure and Applied Geophys., doi:10.1007/s00024-011-0414-z.
- Nowack, R.L. (2012) A tale of two beams: an elementary overview of Gaussian beams and Bessel beams, Studia Geophys. et Geod., 56, doi: 10.1007/ s11200-011-9054-0.
- Chen, W.P., S.H. Hung, T.L. Tseng, M. Brudzinski, Z. Yang, and R.L. Nowack (2012) Rheology of the continental lithosphere: progress and new perspectives with special reference to project Hi-CLIMB, Gondwana Research, 21, 4-18.
- Haase, J.S., Y.Y. Choi, T. Bowling and R.L. Nowack (2011) Probabilistic seismic-hazard assessment including site effects for Evansville Indiana and the surrounding region, Bull. Seism., Soc. Am., 101, 1039-1054.
- Griffin, J. D., R. L. Nowack, W.P. Chen and T.L. Tseng (2011) Velocity structure of the Tibetan lithosphere: Constraints from P-wave travel times of regional earthquakes, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 1201, 1938-1947, doi: 1785/0120100229.
- Haase, J.S., Y.S. Choi and R.L. Nowack (2011) Liquefaction hazard near the Ohio Riverf from Midwestern scenario earthquakes, Environmental and Engineering Geoscience, 17, 165-181..
- Nowack, R.L. (2011) Dynamically focused Gaussian beams for seismic imaging, Int. J. Geophys., Vol. 2011, Art. No. 316581, doi: 10.1155/2011/316581.
- Haase, J.S. and R.L. Nowack, R.L. (2011) Earthquake scenario ground motions for the urban area of Evansville, Seismological Res. Lett., 82, 177-187.
- Nowack, R.L. and S.M. Kainkaryam (2011) The Gouy phase anomaly for harmonic and time-domain paraxial Gaussian beams, Geophys. J. Int., 184, 965-973.
- Nowack, R.L. (2010) Seismic interferometry using Gaussian beams, Earthquake Science, 23, 417-424.
- Chen, W.P., M. Martin, T.L. Tseng, R.L. Nowack, S.H. Hung and B.H. Huang (2010) Shear-wave birefringence and current configuration of converging lithosphere under Tibet, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 295, 297-304.
- Nowack, R.L., W.P. Chen and T.L. Tseng (2010) Application of Gaussian beam migration to multi-scale imaging of the lithosphere beneath the Hi-CLIMB array in Tibet, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 100, 1743-1754.
- Tseng, T.L., W.P. Chen and R.L. Nowack (2009) Northward thinning of Tibetan crust revealed by virtual seismic profiles, Geophys. Res. Lett., 36, 14, doi:10.1029/2009GL038252.
- Dasgupta, S., R.L. Nowack, and S. Mitra (2009) Deconvolution of three-component teleseismic data from Southern Tibet using the SVA technique, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 99, 1973-1983.
- Nowack, R.L. and C. Li (2009) Methods and Applications of Seismic Tomography, in Handbook of Signal Processing in Acoustics (eds. D. Havelock, M. Vorlander and S. Kuwano), Springer-Verlag, pp. 1635-1653.
- Dasgupta, S. and R.L. Nowack (2008) Frequency extrapolation to enhance the deconvolution of transmitted seismic waves, J. Geophys. and Eng., 5, 118-127.
- Nowack, R.L., W.P. Chen, U. Kruse,and S. Dasgupta (2007) Imaging offsets in the Moho: Synthetic tests using Gaussian Beams with teleseismic waves, Pure and Applied Geophysics, 164, 1921-1936.
- Chen, R., V.P. Drnevich, X. Yu, and R. Nowack (2007) Water content measurements with Time Domain Reflectrometry in highly conductive soils using reflections from the soil surface, J. Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 133, 1597-1608.
- Dasgupta, S. and R.L. Nowack (2006) Deconvolution of 3-component teleseismic P-waves using the autocorrelation of the P to SV scattered waves, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 96, 1827-1835.
- Nowack R.L., S. Dasgupta, G.T. Schuster, and J.M. Sheng (2006) Correlation migration using Gaussian beams of scattered teleseismic body waves, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 96, 1-10.
- Nowack, R.L. and C. Li (2006) Application of autoregressive extrapolation to the cross-borehole tomography, Studia Geophysica et Geodetica, 50, 337-348.