EAPS Distinguished Science Alumni Recipient - Rick Knabb - Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences - Purdue University Skip to main content

EAPS Distinguished Science Alumni Recipient - Rick Knabb


Dr. Jeff Roberts, Rick Knabb, Dr. Indrajeet Chaubey

Congratulations go to the 2015 EAPS Distinguished Science Alumni Recipient, Rick Knabb. (BS '90 Atmospheric Science, Purdue University) Pictured here, in the middle, with Dr. Jeff Roberts, Dean of the College of Science, and Dr. Indrajeet Chaubey, Department Head of Earth Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences.

Dr. Rick Knabb is the director of National Oceanis and Atmospheric Administration's National Hurricane Center in Miami.

Knabb was a research meteorologist and lead forecaster at the Mauna Kea Weather Center from 1999-2001. He joined Risk Management Solutions, Inc., in Newark, California, in 2001 as an assistant product manager for Weather Risk. He later joined NOAA's National Hurricane Center as the science and operations officer, which is where he was named a senior hurricane specialist in 2005.

In 2008, Knabb became the Deputy Director of NOAA's Central Pacific Hurricane Center in Honolulu. He served in that capacity until 2010, when he joined The Weather Channel in Atlanta as its on-air hurricane expert and tropical science program manager. He rejoined NOAA's National Hurricane Center in June 2012 as its director.

For NHC, Knabb has provided new products and services such as a stronger emphasis on individual hazards like the potential storm surge flooding graphic and the storm surge watch/warning graphic. He continues to work closely with emergency managers, media partners and the international community. Knabb is a member of the American Meteorological Society.

Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, 550 Stadium Mall Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051 • Phone: (765) 494-3258 • Fax: (765) 496-1210 • Contact Us

Copyright © 2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the College of Science.