Dr. Lucy Flesch
- PhD, Geophysics, 2002, Stony Brook University- Dissertation:
- Dynamics of Active Plate Margins
Research InterestsI am interested in the kinematics and dynamics of the continental lithosphere, namely the interaction between the lithospheric crust and mantle, deformational driving forces of continental lithosphere, and the development of large plateaus. The modeling performed are all observationally based using geodetic, geologic and seismic data.
- EAS 116 - Earthquakes and Volcanoes
- EAS 391F - Introduction to Plate Tectronics
Awards and Honors
- Best Student Paper, American Geophysical Union Spring Meeting, 2000
- GAANN Fellow, 1998
- Visiting Scientist: Carnegie Institution of Washington, Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, January 2006 – present.
- Assistant Professor: Purdue University, August 2005 – present.
- Postdoctoral Fellow: Carnegie Institution of Washington, Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, January 2003 – July 2005.
- Postdoctoral Associate: State University of New York at Stony Brook, May 2002 – December 2002.
- Research Assistant: State University of New York at Stony Brook, May 1996 – May 2002.
Selected Publications - Google Scholar Page for a complete list of publications
- Bendick, R.* and L.M. Flesch*, (2013) A review of heterogeneous materials and their implications for relationships between kinematics and dynamics in continents, Tectonics, DOI: 10.1002/tect.20058.
- O’Malley, D.*, J.H. Cushman, and L.M. Flesch, Global sensitivity analysis for a micropolar Stokes flow problem, International Journal for Multiscale Computational Engineering, DOI:10.1615/IntJMultCompEng.2013005115, 2013.
- Flesch, L.M.* and R. Bendick*, (2012) Relationship between surface kinematics and deformation of the whole lithosphere, Geology, 40, 711–714, doi:10.1130/G33269.1.
- Leon Soto, G.*, E. Sandvol, J. Ni, L.M. Flesch, T. Hearn, F. Tillmann, Y. Chen, L. Brown, (2012) Significant and Vertically Coherent Seismic Anisotropy Beneath Eastern Tibet, Journal of Geophysical Research, 117, B05308, doi:10.1029/2011JB008919.
- Finzel, E.S*., L.M. Flesch*, and K.D. Ridgway, Identifying the diffuse North America-Pacific-Bering plate boundary in Alaska and western Canada, Geology, 39; 835–838; doi:10.1130/G32271.1, 2011.
- Stamps, D.S*., L.M. Flesch, and E.C. Calais, Lithospheric Buoyancy Stresses in Africa from a Thin-Sheet Approach, International Journal of Earth Sciences, 99, 1525, 2010.
- Flesch, L.M.,* and C. Kremer*, Gravitational potential energy and regional stress and strain rate fields for continental plateaus: Examples form the central Andes and Colorado Plateau, Tectonophysics, 482, 182-192, 2010.
- Stamps, D.S., L.M. Flesch, and E.C. Calais, Lithospheric Buoyancy Stresses in Africa from a Thin â Sheet Approach, International Journal of Earth Sciences, accepted, 2009.
- Ghosh, A., W.E. Holt, and L.M. Flesch, Contribution of Gravitational Potential Energy Differences to the Global â€¨Stress Field, Geophysical Journal International, in press, 2009.
- Flesch, L.M., and C. Kreemer, Gravitational Potential Energy and Regional Stress and Strain Rate Fields for Continental Plateaus: Examples from the Central Andes and Colorado Plateau, Tectonophysics, in press, 2009.
- Klein, E.C., L.M. Flesch, W.E. Holt, and A.J. Haines, Evidence of Long-term Weakness on Seismogenic Faults in Western North America from Dynamic Modeling, J.G.R, 114, B03402, doi:10.1029/2007JB005201., 2009.
- Bendick, R. and L.M. Flesch, Reconciling Lithospheric Deformation and Lower Crustal Flow Beneath Central Tibet: Reply, Geology, doi: 10.1130/G25391Y.1, 2008.
- Ghosh, A., W.E. Holt, L. Wen, A.J. Haines, and L.M. Flesch, Joint modeling of lithosphere and mantle dynamics elucidating lithosphere-mantle coupling, Geophys. Res. Lett., 35(16), L16309, 2008.
- Wang, C., L.M. Flesch, P.G. Silver, L. Chang, and W.W. Chan, Evidence for Mechanically Coupled Lithosphere and Resulting Implications, Geology, 36(5), 363-366, doi:10.1130/G24450A, 2008.
- Flesch, L.M. and R. Bendick*, 2008, A comment on â€œPresent-day kinematics at the India-Asia collision zone,â€ Geology, doi: 10.1130/G24443C.1.