EAPS is happy to announce that it will be offering groups to visit the department for lessons each week. For Fall 2015 we have a lab reserved from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM. If you are interested in bringing your class or group, contact Steven Smith at mrsmith @ purdue.edu
Activities offered for EAPS Friday’s fall 2015:
- Catch a Wave
- This activity incorporates hands-on lab with interactive demonstrations introducing the electromagnetic spectrum and the energy of waves.
- Air pressure and Weather
- During this demo/activity the students will explore concepts related to air pressure and discover how it relates to weather.
- Earthquake Engineering
- During this activity students will work to build earthquake-resistant buildings and test their buildings while they learn earthquake-related concepts.
- The Foundations of Convection
- Hands on investigation leading to the understanding of ocean currents, atmospheric currents, and plate movement.
- Half Life and Radioactive Isotopes
- This lab is done with Nuclear Scalers. Students will determine the half-life of an isotope by testing counts at intervals. Students will also determine shielding needs of Alpha, beta, and gamma sources.
- Water quality
- After a discussion of waterways, and contaminants students will test water from a local source.
- Learning with Stream tables
- Students will set up stream tables and be asked to model various water features. Groups will present and lead discussion of their model.
- Glaciers and Glaciation
- This activity involves a hands on activity simulating glacial striations, a PowerPoint of Indiana Glaciation, and a tour of the EAPS Wall Wrap and Educational Rock displays.
Geology Self-Guided Walking tour:
- This is a map listing some of campus's interesting glacial erratics and walking routes that pass by them. View map here.