Dr. Kenneth Ridgway
Sedimentary geology, basin analysis, tectonics, petroleum geology
Awards and Honors
- 2013 - EarthScope Speaker Series
- 2012 - Geological Society of America Bromery Award
- 2012 - Purdue University Dreamer Award
- 2011 - Fellow – Geological Society of America
- 2009 - College of Science, Graduate Student Mentoring Award
- 1998 - School of Science Faculty Award for Outstanding Assistant Professor in Teaching and Research
- Co-Director of Sloan – Purdue Indigenous Graduate Program
- Faculty Advisor – American Indian Science and Engineering Society – Purdue chapter
- Faculty Advisor – Society of Petroleum Engineers – Purdue Chapter
- Associate Editor for Tectonics
- 2003 - Professor, Purdue University
- 1998 - 2003 Associate Professor, Purdue University, Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences.
- 1992-1998 Assistant Professor, Purdue University, Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences.
- 1983-1987 Petroleum Geologist, Chevron Oil, Midland-Texas.
Selected Publications - Google Scholar Page for a complete list of publications
- Brennan, P.R.K., and Ridgway, K.D., 2015, Detrital zircon record of Neogene exhumation of the central Alaska Range: A far-field upper plate response to flat-slab subduction: GSA Bulletin, in press.
- Reano, D., and Ridgway K.D., 2015, Connecting geology and Native American culture on the reservation of Acoma Pueblo, New Mexico: GSA Today, in press.
- Finzel, E.S., Ridgway, K.D., and Trop, J.M., 2015, Provenance signature of changing plate boundary conditions along a convergent margin: detrital record of spreading-ridge and flat-slab subduction processes, Cenozoic forearc basins, Alaska: Geosphere, in press.
- Finzel, E.S., L.M. Flesch, and K.D. Ridgway, 2014, Present-day geodynamics of the northern North American Cordillera Earth and Planetary Science Letters, pp. 111-123: 10.1016/j.epsl.2014.07.024
- Enkelmann, E, Ridgway, K.D.,Carignano, C., and Linnemann, U., 2014, A thermochronometric view into an ancient landscape: Tectonic setting, development, and inversion of thePaleozoic eastern Paganzo basin, Argentina :Lithosphere, v. 6, no.2, p. 93-107, doi: 10.1130/L309.1LITHOSPHERE.
- Richardson, T., K. D. Ridgway, H. Gilbert, R. Martino, E. Enkelmann, M. Anderson, and P. Alvarado, 2013, Neogene and Quaternary tectonics of the Eastern Sierras Pampeanas, Argentina: Active intraplate deformation inboard of flat-slab subduction, Tectonics, 32, doi:10.1002/tect.20054.
- Ridgway, K.D., Trop, J.M., and Finzel, E.S., 2012, Modification of continental forearc basins by spreading ridge subduction and flat-slab subduction processes: A case study from southern Alaska: in Recent Advances in the Tectonics of Sedimentary Basins, eds. Cathy Busby and Antonio Azor: Blackwell Publishing, p. 327--346.
- Finzel, E.S., L.M. Flesch, and K.D. Ridgway, 2011, Kinematics of a diffuse North America-Pacific-Bering plate boundary in Alaska and western Canada: Geology, G32271R1, DOI: 10.1130/G32271.1
- Finzel, E.S., Trop, J.M., Ridgway, K.D., and Enkelmann, E., 2011, Upper plate proxies for flat-slab subduction processes in southern Alaska: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 303, p. 348–360, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2011.01.014
- Brennan, P.R.K., Gilbert, H., and Ridgway,K.D., 2011, Crustal structure across the central Alaska Range: Anatomy of a Mesozoic collisional zone: Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, doi:10.1029/2011GC003519.
- Hampton, B., Ridgway, K. D., and Gehrels, G., 2010, A detrital record of Mesozoic island arc accretion and exhumation in the North American Cordillera: U-Pb geochronology fo the Kahiltna basin, southern Alaska: Tectonics, v. 29, p. 21.
- Perry, S.E., Garver, J.I., and Ridgway, K.D., 2009, Transport of the Yakutat terrane, southern Alaska: Evidence from sediment petrology and detrital zircon fission-track and U/Pb double dating: Journal of Geology, v. 117, p. 156-173. DOI 10.1086/596302.
- Finzel, E., Ridgway, K.D., Decker, P.D., Reifenstuhl, R.R., Blodgett, R.B., and White, J., 2009, Stratigraphic framework and estuarine depositional environments of the Miocene Bear Lake Formation, Bristol Bay basin, Alaska: Onshore equivalents to potential reservoir strata in a frontier gas-rich basin: American Association of Petroleum Geologists, v. 93, no. 3, p. 379-405; doi:10.1306/10010808030.
- Ruppert, N.A., Ridgway, K.D., Freymueller, J.T., Cross, R.S., and Hansen, R.A., 2008, Active tectonics of interior Alaska: Seismicity, GPS, and local geomorphology: in Active Tectonics and Seismic Potential of Alaska, Geophysical Monograph 179, p. 109-133.
- Kalbas, J.L., Freed, A.M., Ridgway, K.D., 2008, Contemporary fault mechanics in southern Alaska: in Active Tectonics and Seismic Potential of Alaska, Geophysical Monograph 179, p. 321-336.
- Hampton, B.A., Ridgway, K.D., O’Neill, J.M., Gehrels, G.E., Schmidt, J. and Blodgett, R.B., 2007, Pre-, syn-, and postcollisional stratigraphic framework and provenance of Upper Triassic-Uppe Cretaceous strata in the northwestern Talkeetna Mountains: in Tectonic Growth of a Collisional Continental Margin: Crustal Evolution of Southern Alaska: Geological Society of America Special Paper 431, doi:10.1130/2007.2431(16).
- Trop, J.M. and Ridgway, K.D., 2007, Mesozoic and Cenozoic tectonic growth of Southern Alaska: A sedimentary basin perspective: in Tectonic Growth of a Collisional Continental Margin: Crustal Evolution of Southern Alaska: Geological Society of America Special Paper 431, doi:10.1130/2007.2431(04).
- Kalbas, J.L., Ridgway, K.D. and Gehrels, G.E., 2007, Stratigraphy, depositional systems, and provenance of the Lower Cretaceous Kahiltna assemblage, western Alaska Range: Basin development in response to oblique collision: in Tectonic Growth of a Collisional Continental Margin: Crustal Evolution of Southern Alaska: Geological Society of America Special Paper 431, doi:10.1130/2007.2431(13).
- Hoy, R.G., and Ridgway, K.D., 2003, Sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy of fan-delta and river-delta deposystems, Pennsylvanian Minturn Formation, Colorado: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 87, p. 1169-1191.
- Ridgway, K.D., Trop, J.M., Nokleberg, W.J., Davidson, C.M., and Eastham, K.R., 2002, Mesozoic and Cenozoic tectonics of the eastern and central Alaska Range: Progressive basin development and deformation in a suture zone: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 114, p. 1480-1504.
- Trop, J.M., Ridgway, K.D., and Layer, P.W., 2002, Mesozoic sedimentary basin development on the allochthonous Wrangellia composite terrane, Wrangell Mountains basin, Alaska: A long-term record of terrane migration and arc construction: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 114, p. 693-717.
- Hoy, R.G., and Ridgway, K.D., 2002, Syndepositional thrust-related deformation and sedimentation in an Ancestral Rocky Mountains basin, Central Colorado trough, Colorado: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 114, p. 804-828.
- Stamatakos, J.A., Trop, J.M., and Ridgway, K.D., 2001, Late Cretaceous paleogeography of Wrangellia: Paleomagnetism of the MacColl Ridge Formation, southern Alaska, revisited: Geology, v. 29, p. 947-950.
- Chen, W.S., Ridgway, K.D., Horng, C.S., Chen, Y.G., Shea, K.S., and Yeh, M.G., 2001, Stratigraphic architecture, magnetostratigraphy, and incised-valley systems of the Pliocene-Pleistocene collisional marine foreland basin of Taiwan: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 113, p. 1249-1271.
- Cole, R.B., Ridgway, K.D., Layer, P.W., and Drake, J., 1999, Kinematics of basin development during the transition from terrane accretion to strike-slip tectonics, Late Cretaceous early Tertiary Cantwell Formation, south central Alaska: Tectonics, v. 18, p. 1224-1244.
- Ridgway, K.D., *Trop, J.M., and Sweet, A.R., 1997, Thrust-top basin formation along a suture zone, Cantwell basin, Alaska Range: Implications for development of the Denali fault system: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 109, p. 595-523.
- *Hoy, R.G., and Ridgway, K.D., 1997, Structural and sedimentologic development of footwall growth synclines along an intraforeland uplift, east-central Bighorn Mountains, Wyoming: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 109, p. 915-935.
- Ridgway, K.D., Sweet, A.R., and Cameron, A.R., 1995, Climatically-induced floristic changes across the Eocene-Oligocene transition in the northern high latitudes, Yukon Territory, Canada: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 107, p. 676-696.
- Ridgway, K.D., and DeCelles, P.G., 1993, Stream-dominated alluvial-fan and lacustrine depositional systems in Cenozoic strike-slip basins, Denali fault system, Yukon Territory, Canada: Sedimentology, v. 40, p. 645-666.