Dr. Dev Niyogi
Professor & Indiana State Climatologist
Associated Website(s): Indiana State Climate Office, Lab Website, Atmospheric Science, Center for the Environment
Latest updates can be found at http://landsurface.org
- Ph.D. Atmospheric Sciences, North Carolina State University
Dissertation on Biosphere Atmosphere Interactions coupled with CO2 and Soil Moisture Changes, 2000.
- M.S. Atmospheric Sciences, North Carolina State University
Thesis on Dynamic Interactions in Soil Vegetation Atmosphere Transfer Processes, Fall 1996.
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Univ. of Poona, India
- Report on Development, Validation, and Implementation of an Air Quality Model for an Industrial Area, Fall 1994.
- Representing Land Surface Processes in mesoscale weather forecast models and Regional Climate Models for severe weather/ convection initiation
- Satellite Remote sensing and data assimilation within weather and climate models
- Regional Climate and Non greenhouse gas forcing of climate feedbacks
- Current research projects are in following areas: Terrestrial Ecosystem and Atmosphere, Agricultural Air Quality, Carbon and Hydrological Cycle, Biospheric Processes in Weather and Regional Climate Models, Land Atmosphere Interactions, Agriculture Meteorology, Applied Climatology, Hydrometeorology, PBL and Mesoscale Processes, Climate Informatics, Remote and Land based Observational Systems.
Awards and Honors
- Review Editor for the Journal Climate Research
- Invited member to various AGU, AMS committees, panels, working groups.
- 02/05 – onwards Indiana State Climatologist, State Climate Office of Indiana, Purdue University
- 02/05 – onwards Assistant Professor, Department of Agronomy and Department of Earth and Atmospheric Science, Purdue University
- 02/05 - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Departments of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences, and Crop Sciences, North Carolina State University
- 05/04 - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Colorado State University
- 01/01 – 02/05 Research Assistant Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, North Carolina State University
- 01/02 - 06/ 02 Acting State Climatologist and Director of State Climate Office of North Carolina, North Carolina State University
- 01/01 – 03/03 Associate State Climatologist for North Carolina (NC ECO Net), State Climate Office of North Carolina, North Carolina State University
- 02/98 – 12/00 Assistant State Climatologist (AgNet), State Climate Office of North Carolina, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, and Meteorologist, and Department of Horticulture Science, North Carolina State University
Selected Publications - Google Scholar Page for a complete list of publications
- Kumar A., J. Dudhia, R. Rotunno, D. Niyogi, and U.C. Mohanty, 2008, Analysis of the July 26, 2005 heavy rain event over Mumbai, India using the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model, Quart. J. Roy. Met. Soc.,134, 1897 - 1910.
- Alfieri, J.G., D. Niyogi, P.D. Blanken, F. Chen, M.A. LeMone, K.E. Mitchell, M.B. Ek, and A. Kumar, 2008, Estimation of the Minimum Canopy Resistance for Croplands and Grasslands Using Data from the 2002 International H2O Project. Mon. Wea. Rev., 136, 4452-4469.
- Alapaty K., D. Niyogi, F. Chen, P. Pyle, A. Chandrasekar, N. Seaman, 2008, Development of the Flux-Adjusting Surface Data Assimilation System for Mesoscale Models, J. Appl. Meteorol. Clim., 47, 2331 - 2350.
- Occhipinti, C, V.P. Aneja, W. Showers, and D. Niyogi, 2008, Back-Trajectory Analysis and Source-Receptor Relationships: Particulate Matter and Nitrogen Isotopic Composition in Rainwater, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 58, 1215-1222.
- Xavier V. F., A. Chandrasekar, H. Rahman, D. Niyogi, K. Alapaty, 2008, The Effect of Assimilation of Satellite and Conventional Meteorological Data for the Prediction of a Monsoon Depression over India using a Mesoscale Model, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 10.1007/s00703-008-0314-7
- Matsui, T., A. Beltrán-Przekurat, D. Niyogi, R.A. Pielke Sr., and M. Coughenour, 2008: Aerosol light scattering effect on terrestrial plant productivity and energy fluxes over the eastern United States. J. Geophys. Res. – Yoram J. Kaufman Symposium Issue, 113, D14S14, doi:10.1029/2007JD009658
- Vinod Kumar, A. Chandrasekar, K. Alapaty, and D. Niyogi 2008, The impact of indirect soil moisture assimilation and direct surface temperature and humidity assimilation on a mesoscale model simulation of an Indian monsoon depression, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 47, 1393 - 1412. DOI: 10.1175/2007JAMC1599.1
- M. Lei*, D. Niyogi, C. Kishtawal, R. Pielke Sr., A. Beltrán-Przekurat, T. Nobis, and S. Vaidya, 2008, Effect of explicit urban land surface representation on the simulation of the 26 July 2005 heavy rain event over Mumbai, India, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 8, 5975 - 5995.
- Aneja, V.P., J. Blunden, P. A. Roelle, W. H. Schlesinger, R. Knighton, W. Gilliam, D. Niyogi, G. Jennings, and C. Duke, 2008,Workshop on Agricultural Air Quality: State of the Science, Atmospheric Environment, 42, 3195-3208 doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.07.043
- Aneja V., J. Blunden, K. James, W.H. Schlesinger, R. Knighton, W. Gilliam, D. Niyogi, S. Cole, 2008, Ammonia Assessment from Agriculture: US Status and National Needs, J. Environmental Quality, 37, 515 - 520. DOI: 10.2134/jeq2007.0002in
- Pielke Sr., R.A., C. Davey, D. Niyogi, S. Fall, J. Steinweg-Woods, K. Hubbard, X. Lin, M. Cai, Y.-K. Lim, H. Li, J. Nielsen-Gammon, K. Gallo, R. Hale, J. Angel, R. Mahmood, S. Foster, R.T. McNider, and P. Blanken, 2007, Unresolved issues with the assessment of multi-decadal global land surface temperature trends. J. Geophys. Research, in press
- Houston, A., and D. Niyogi, 2007, The Sensitivity of Convective Initiation to the Lapse Rate of the Active Cloud-Bearing Layer, Mon. Wea. Rev., accepted.
- D. Niyogi , H. Chang, L. Gu, S. Menon, R. A. Pielke Sr., 2006, Land - Atmosphere Aerosol Interactions on Indian Monsoon, J. Natural Hazards (Monsoon Issue), accepted. (Invited).
- D. Niyogi , T. Holt, S. Zhong, P.C. Pyle, J. Basara, 2006: Urban and Land Surface Effects on the 30 July 2003 MCS Event Observed in the Southern Great Plains, Journal of Geophysical Research, 111, D19107, doi:10.1029/2005JD006746.
- Holt T., D. Niyogi , F. Chen, M. A. LeMone, K. Manning, A. L. Qureshi*, 2005, Investigation of the impact of land - atmosphere interactions on convection initiation in Southern Great Plains: Synthesis of the May 24-25, 2002 International H2O Project (IHOP) Convection, Monthly Weather Review, (IHOP Special Issue), accepted.
- Niyogi D. , H. Chang*, V. K. Saxena, T .Holt, K. Alapaty, F. Booker, F. Chen, K.J. Davis, B. Holben, T. Matsui*, T. Meyers, W.C. Oechel, R. A. Pielke Sr., R. Wells, K. Wilson, Y.K. Xue, 2004, Direct observations of the Effects of Aerosol loading on Net Ecosystem CO2 Exchanges over Different Landscapes, Geophysical Research Letters, 31, L20506, doi:10.1029/2004GL020915. NASA Press Release: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/environment/aerosol_carbon.html
- Pielke Sr., R.A., G. Marland, R.A. Betts, T.N. Chase, J.L. Eastman, J.O. Niles, D. Niyogi , and S. Running, 2002, The influence of land-use change and landscape dynamics on the climate system- relevance to climate change policy beyond the radiative effect of greenhouse gases. Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. (London) A. Special Theme Issue, 360, 1705-1719.